The Online Magazine FOR and ABOUT Southside Virginia
Love is in the Air
This month we celebrate Valentine's Day, so it seemed a perfect compliment to that holiday to have our first Bridal Special Issue.
There have been several Bridal shows in the Southside area in the past few weeks and there are more on the way in the next month or so. We were able to attend a couple of them and hope to get around to some others.
Our Festivals and events page is off line for the next few days for some spring-cleaning so please check back. We will try to list these bridal shows in the Festivals and Events page as soon as we can.
Judging by the turn out at these shows, there are a lot of couples getting married this year. We wish them many happy years together.
Speaking of happy years together, this month Gert Slabach shares the story of Fred and Bessie who celebrated 66 years together this past fall. Their story "For Better, For Worse" just seemed to be a perfect fit with a bridal issue. It is one of the feature articles and is listed in the bridal section as well.
For those of you who feel this page would not be complete without our poking a little fun at something, we are going to share one of our favorite e-mails. Out of the mouths of babes, the saying goes. Below is how some kids look at dating and marriage. DSS claims neither credit nor responsibility for the comments. But we did get a few chuckles, and hope you do too.
From an e-mail:
HOW DO YOU DECIDE WHO TO MARRY? (written by kids)
1) You got to find somebody who likes the same stuff.
Like, if you like sports, she should like it that you like sports, and she should keep the
chips and dip coming.
2) No person really decides before they grow up who they're going to marry. God decides it all way before, and you get to find out later who
you're stuck with.
WHAT IS THE RIGHT AGE TO GET MARRIED?
1) Twenty-three is the best age because you know the person FOREVER by then.
2) No age is good to get married at. You got to be a fool to get married.
HOW CAN A STRANGER TELL IF TWO PEOPLE ARE MARRIED?
1) You might have to guess, based on whether they seem to be yelling at the same kids.
WHAT DO YOU THINK YOUR MOM AND DAD HAVE IN COMMON?
1) Both don't want any more kids.
WHAT DO MOST PEOPLE DO ON A DATE?
1) Dates are for having fun, and people should use them to get to know each other. Even boys have something to say if you listen long enough.
2) On the first date, they just tell each other lies and that usually gets them interested enough to go for a second date.
WHEN IS IT OKAY TO KISS SOMEONE?
1) When they 're rich.
2) The law says you have to be eighteen, so I wouldn't want to mess with that.
3) The rule goes like this: If you kiss someone, then you should marry them and have kids with them. It's the right thing to do.
IS IT BETTER TO BE SINGLE OR MARRIED?
It's better for girls to be single but not for boys. Boys need someone to clean up after them.
HOW WOULD THE WORLD BE DIFFERENT IF PEOPLE DIDN'T GET MARRIED?
1) There sure would be a lot of kids to explain, wouldn't there?
And the No.1 Favorite is........
HOW WOULD YOU MAKE A MARRIAGE WORK?
1) Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a truck.
WB Carver - Editor/Publisher
PO Box 1061
South Boston, VA 24592
Copyright © 2008-11 Discover Southside